- “ Ha ha! Talk about a boom town! Your precious Jalapeno is in that cell! Being evil really rocks! ”
- — Sheriff Zapata in Boom Town
He first appears in Boom Town, imprisoning Uncle Jalapeño in a jail cell. After Sackboy breaks Uncle Jalapeño out, Zapata runs into the mines to try and escape them.
Later in Serpent Shrine, he throws bombs at Sackboy, but is thwarted when Sackboy blows him up instead.
Sheriff Zapata is slightly dirty. He wears a black hat with a bullet hole, and has a big, black moustache. He wears a beige, patched-up suit with an orange tie. He also wears white socks and black shoes.
Sheriff Zapata's name is a reference to Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata. Zapata also sounds similar to the spanish word for shoe, zapato.
- Despite haven been blown up in the first game, Zapata can be seen in an audience of the final level of the LittleBigPlanet (Theme) in LittleBigPlanet Karting, King's Castle, hinting he may have been revived.
- The Mines is the only level in The Canyons in which he doesn't make an appearance.
- Sheriff Zapata is the first boss in LittleBigPlanet, and the whole series in general.