The Paintinator, is a paintball blaster SackPeople can acquire from a floating, rotating pickup placed in the level. It was released as part of the Metal Gear Solid expansion pack. It is aimed with the right analog stick and fired by pressing R1. It is one of the three Player Enhancements alongside the Jetpack and Scuba Gear. It is included in both the LittleBigPlanet: Game Of The Year Edition and LittleBigPlanet 2.
As well as featuring in the story levels of the Metal Gear Solid expansion, the Paintinator can also be placed in levels created by players with the expansion pack. Players can then play the level and use the Paintinator whether they have bought the pack or not.
The Paintinator can activate Paint Switches, which are activated by shooting it with paint ball rounds from the Paintinator. It can be set to require more than one hit before activated. The appearance of a Paint Switch is of a green bar when full. As it is shot the bar gets smaller as it changes to yellow, then finally red before being activated. The Paint Switch also activates numerous functions if you connect it with a wire.
The Paintinator can also be used to shoot other SackPeople, knocking them back like a weaker version of the slap and covering them in paint. Finally, it can be used to destroy unshielded brains on creatures.
In LittleBigPlanet Karting, the Paintinator is used as a weapon to slow down other racers. The paintinator has the ability to shoot 3 paintballs before disappearing. Also, there is a paint effect that can be used when making a Weaponator.
There are 3 trophies associated with The Paintinator enhancement:
- Paint Sharer: Create and publish a level with the Paintinator power-up inside of it.
- Paint Splurge: Fire 5,000 Paintballs.
- Quick-fire Artiste: Fire 40 paintballs in 5 seconds.
- Thrifty Painter: Complete Act 3: The Mission firing less than 125 paintballs.
- The colour of the paint is determined by the player's Popit colour after customising their Sack person.
- If the player places a sticker on their sackperson's hand that is larger than the hands themselves, then the excess amount of the sticker will overlap onto the onto the Paintinator.
- If a decoration is attached to the Paintinator whilst equipped onto a sackperson, and then the Paintinator power-up is dropped, the decoration will hover next to the Sack person. This is an unintended feature and is regarded as a glitch.
- It is possible for the player to capture the paintballs fired from the paintinator and use them as they would any other object.
- While using the Paintinator, the ability to grab is replaced by the ability to fire paintballs.If you go in water while you have a Paintinator you will drop it.
- The Paintinator's trigger is not visible on the model.
- If a player has achieved the 'Black Popit' glitch in the original LittleBigPlanet, then they will fire multicoloured paintballs when equipped with the Paintinator.
- The Paintinator was the first power up in a DLC.