Backgrounds are the backgrounds of any and all levels in the LittleBigPlanet series. They are composed out of large, realistic models, that are much larger than sackfolk.
List of all Backgrounds
- Blank Background (Default): Wood-like ground and blank white background, with nothing else. Quite basic.
- The Gardens Background: Street-like theme, with pavement, ground, clumps of grass, garden gnomes and a fence background. Birds can be heard tweeting as the ambience.
- The Savannah Background: African savannah background with few trees, some rocks and grass. Can hear exotic sounds like monkey cries.
- The Wedding Background: The Wedding: Cemetery decorated with a Catholic church nearby. Has stained glass windows in background. Bell heard ringing in background.
- The Canyons Background: Desert with dry ground and occasional animal bones, and cliffs and cacti in the background. Can hear insects chirping.
- The Metropolis Background: American street in the city, with buildings in the background and things like dustbin bags. Can hear car rumbles and horns.
- The Islands Background: Japanese temple theme, with ponds and Japanese festival-like decorations in the background.
- The Temples Background: Selvatic background with earth and grass ground. Contains what looks like a temple in the background with elephant statues. Can hear exotic birds calling.
- The Wilderness Background: Tundra with snow ground. A sleeping bear can be seen.
- Tutorial Background: Moon, stars and clouds. (Unobtainable through normal means)
- Blank Background (Default)
- The Factory of a Better Tomorrow: The left is a large city with the floor being a road, and the right being a movie production room.
- Avalonia: Huge white car factory with computers at top and robotic arms building cars below.
- Eve's Asylum: A 20th century greenhouse with a huge tree in the middle of the background.
- The Cosmos: A large arcade with pinball shacks and other arcade related games. A lounge can be seen at the top.
- Tutorial Background: Table with a statue of Sackboy, and concepts on the wall. (Unobtainable through normal means)
- Blank Background (Default):
- Needlepoint Peaks (Summer): A large village named 'Sackville' with roses, rivers and houses all around.
- Needlepoint Peaks (Winter): The same, but with frost and snow everywhere, as well as the river being frozen.
- Manglewood Swamp: Some deserted diners with empty cars and dinosaur statues around.
- The Ziggurat: The background is divided into two parts, upper and lower. The lower part is snow and poles, the upper part are the Moscow towers.
- Bunkum Lagoon: Much like the Ziggurat, it is divided into two parts. The lower part is a mountainous terrain with rocks, the upper part is buildings and fireworks.
- Stitchem Manor: Mushy peas in sauce pans and fridges lying about. (Unobtainable through normal means)
- Caverns: A cavern with a broken bridge and a row boat. Is used in the background of Zom Zom's shop. (Unobtainable through normal means)
- Blank Background (Infinite): Same as the Blank Background, but infinite. (Unobtainable through normal means)
- Treehouse: Default Pod background. Displays a backyard at night with a tent, that has a teddy bear inside. (Unobtainable through normal means)
- Considering that all the themes before LittleBigPlanet 3 was released weren't made for 16 layers, the player can pass through the models in the background.